Many people associate “tutor” with academia, but Canada lists them under immediate family members who are exempt from travel restrictions.

Canada has listed “tutors” as immediate family members, causing confusion for people who are only familiar with the word being used in academia.

The Government of Canada defines guardians and tutors as: “individuals who are responsible for caring for a foreign national minor who is living apart from a parent for an extended period of time, for example, to attend a secondary school in Canada.”

Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) provides the following list of some of the acceptable documents that prove the employment or status as a guardian or tutor:

  • documents that indicate the relationship to the child;
  • documents that indicate legal responsibility for the child and authority to make decisions in the absence of their parents;
  • documents showing power of attorney; or
  • a judicial court order or affidavit.

The onus is on the guardians or tutors to satisfy the border services officer that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. Travellers should also have documentation that will demonstrate their reason for travel and length of stay. In addition, they should bring any other information that may prove how they meet the exemption. The final decision is made by a CBSA officer on a case-by-case basis, based on the information available to them at the time of processing.


All content on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal or advisory.

Farnoosh Mostaed

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments